Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Viola and Dewey Stout Wedding

 
My great grandmother Viola Allred became engaged in 1920 to Commodore Dewey Stout. In her journal she wrote, "I ACCEPTED THE ENGAGEMENT IN GOOD FAITH. Dewey seemed to be all any girl could want in stability, charm, he was a truly "happy" personality."

 
June 22, 1921 they arrived at the temple and there was no sign of Dewey. Viola realized that the temple grounds were filling up with other "June Brides" Dewey finally arrived late. Dewey liked to joke that Viola drug him to the alter. 
 
I read in Dewey's journal that he knew Viola was the one. Especially after they were engaged and he went to call on her. She was in a nightgown and curlers in her hair. She said, "Well when we are married you are going to see me like this, so you better get used to it."  I didn't know my Great Grandpa Dewey, but Great Grandma Viola lived until I was 18 years old. That is exactly something she would have said. She sure was a fireball. I have read their journals several times and love it. Each time I learn something new about them. I am thankful for amazing Great Grandparents and true examples of love, faith and enduring until the end.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment